Together with other national and international organizations of psychologists, BAPS and BFP safeguard the professional interests and statutes of the psychologist, with the aim to serve the community.
BAPS seeks to unite all those interested in the development of psychological science and in its applications in Belgium. Its goals are to encourage the exchange of ideas, to coordinate research, to inform the community about developments in psychological science, and to offer its members opportunities for further specialized training.The Association is governed by an executive committee. Its membership currently reaches around 250 members, most of whom hold academic positions in universities.
For information about how to become a member of BAPS, please see the section "Becoming a Member".
Executive Committee 2011-2014
- Steve Majerus (president), ULg
- Marc Brysbaert (past-president), UG
- Alain Van Hiel (secretary), UG
- Bert Reynvoet (treasurer), KU-Kortrijk
- Etienne Quertemont (Editor of Psychologica Belgica), ULg
- Gina Rossi (advisor), VUB
- Cécile Colin (advisor), ULB
- Dana Samson (advisor), UCL
- Eva Van den Bussche (advisor), VUB
- The representative of BAPS in the BFP is Els Mampaey (VUB).
Past Presidents of the BPS-BAPS have been
- 1972-74 De Waele (VUB)
- 1975-77 De Coster (UG)
- 1978-79 Osterrieth (ULB)
- 1979-81 Jean Costermans (UCL)
- 1981-84 Janssen (KUL)
- 1984-87 Paul Bertelson (ULB)
- 1987-90 Leni Verhofstadt (UG)
- 1990-93 De Keyser (ULG)
- 1994-96 Gery d'Ydewalle (KUL)
- 1996-99 Bernard Rimé (UCL)
- 1999-2003 Frank Van Overwalle (VUB)
- 2003-2005 André Vandierendonck (UG)
- 2005-2008 Axel Cleeremans (ULB)
- 2008-2011 Marc Brysbaert (UG)
Membership comes with a free subscription to Psychologica Belgica. Membership of BAPS also offers sizeable reductions for subscriptions to the journals of the American Psychological Association, to the Annual Review of Psychology, as well as to several popular Psychology magazines in Dutch and French.
Members are also regularly informed about meetings, lectures, symposia, training, and of course, they benefit from reduced participation fees to all these activities.
Finally, members are also entitled to a 15% discount on BioScience Writers professional scientific editing services (http://www.biosciencewriters.com/). The discount code for BAPS members is 'BAPSMEM'.
There are three types of membership to BAPS:
- Full members must have a diploma of licentiate, master or doctor in Psychological Sciences (1) delivered by a Belgian university or (2) delivered by a university from the European Union and recognized by the Belgian Commission of Psychologists.
- Affiliate members are people whose main occupation is within the field of psychology and who fulfil one of the following conditions: (1) they reside in Belgium but do not hold a licentiate, master or doctoral degree in Psychological Sciences, or (2) they reside permanently outside Belgium.
- Student members must be enrolled in the last year of a Belgian university programme in the Psychological Sciences.
Affiliate Members and Student Members have the same rights as Full Members, except when voting for amendments to the constitution of the Association and for electing members of the executive committee.
To become a member, to renew your membership, or to determine your membership fee, please follow the steps explained in French or Dutch. For more information concerning payment of fees, please contact Bert Reynvoet, our treasurer at Bert.Reynvoet at kuleuven-kortrijk.be.